Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Good intentions

I thought starting a Blog would be a good way to process/document the changes becoming a mother bring to my life, but I really haven't gotten that involved with it. I guess it's like making a commitment to run 4 times a week or something... It takes time and effort to start a new habit, and I am short on the first and putting more of the second into other areas of my life.

Sleep is something I am trying to make an effort at getting more of. When I first became acquainted with "attachment parenting" I was thrilled to find that my instincts seem to be in line with an entire parenting philosophy. I embraced it wholeheartedly. I have no regrets of doing this, but I was a little surprised to discover some of the "fine print." The stuff they don't tell you about.

For example: When you sleep with your baby, and wear your baby throughout most of the day, your baby will not necessarily sleep on it's own. Lil Bean does sleep. But only on my back. She will not nap in a crib or on the bed. If she falls asleep in my arms I cannot put her down. She wakes immediately. So, I wear her on my back for hours a day while she naps. I try to figure out how I could maybe nap too... what position would work...

Still, I cannot imagine the alternative. Letting a baby "cry it out" seems like base treachery. How can a being who is completely dependent on her parents for food, warmth, shelter and protection possibly be able to "self-soothe?" No thank you. I am confident that when Lil Bean is ready, she will emerge from her dependence on mama with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment